Most of us don’t drink nearly enough water in a day. Some will turn to flavored waters. Flavored waters can be expensive and full of chemicals you really don’t want in your body. Why not try making your own. It is fairly simple.
Pitcher with lid (lid optional but helpful)
Your favorite fruit and herbs
You will need about ½ cup or more of fruit and herbs. This will enable the water to have the flavor of the ingredients you use. Prepare the fruit depending on type, and pinch herbs. Add to the bottom of the pitcher and add a bunch of ice. Fill in with water and stick in the refrigerator for at least 1 to 2 hours. Some fruits you will be able to taste right away but most need to steep.
Some of my favorite combinations are:
Strawberry and Basil (or Mint)
Strawberry and Lemon
Cucumber and Mint
Melon and Basil
Cinnamon Stick and Apple slices
Oranges, Lemons, and Lime
Peach, Blackberry and Thyme
- Strawberry greatly sweetens your water so this works well if you are trying to cut back on the sweeter drinks (soda, juice). Slicing the strawberries will tint your water pink. Leave whole if you don’t want it tinted (you will still get the flavor)
- Basil and mint can be added to almost any fruit to give them a kick. Or simply add them alone. Basil is surprisingly sweet when left to steep. Rosemary, lavender, thyme, cinnamon sticks also work.
- Always use fresh fruit and herbs. Frozen fruit may work in some cases but smaller fruits will disintegrate. Dried herbs will flavor eventually but will take much longer and are smaller so they will be in every sip.
- Slice larger fruit like peaches and citrus. Berries can be cut in half but don’t cut too much smaller. Cut berries will color your water.
- Do not store for more than 48 hours.
You can try any combination, including other herbs. Bananas do not work!
You can also use large mason jars and scale down your ingredients. This way you can have many kinds in the same day.
Let me know what great combination you came up with!